Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I am a mother who knows I am divine...

Last Friday I attended a book discussion on Co-Dependency No More.  The crux of the conversation was how do we get into a co-dependent mindset, and how do we get out of it?  The conclusion was that it ultimately hinges on knowing that we are of worth.

When I get down on myself, for whatever reason - mistakes I made, something others said or did,  my plans not working, missing a goal, missing a commitment, feeling hurt or alone, put off by the difficulty of a task ahead,  cloudy skies, being sick, something others did not say or do - I forget that I am divine - a Child of God- and therefore have infinite potential, and have access to His omnipotent help. Instead I start thinking about how miserable I am, and how hard my life is.  I start thinking that I am all on my own to fix things and that feels impossible, it is impossible.  So my brain runs away from my own problems and starts looking at other people - usually my husband.  His life is clearer to see -  If I focus on his needs, his responsibilities, his moods, his schedule, his response to me, his thoughts, I don't have to think about mine.  His problems I can see the solution to.  It is always easier to see someone else's problems and solutions, and because we are not them, they seem very fixable. But as long as I am seeing mostly him, I am stuck in co-dependency.

So to get out of co-dependency I must remember truth.
Truth #1:  I am child of God in the complete sense.  I have a divine origin, nature, and potential.
God created me, I am his spirit offspring.  Because of this, a part of me is good.  And I am of great worth to Him. He loves me.  I can become like Him.  No matter what I do, have done, or how many times I make that same mistake, the above sentences remain true.  No matter what I do, it will not lessen or change God's love for me.  Because I am a child of God, or divine...

Truth #2:  The atonement of Jesus Christ is always the solution.  Divine people (all of us) should seek divine solutions.  Every problem, challenge, hurt, mistake, opposition, frustration, wrong, sin, illness, wound, affliction - everything that is hard in this life can be overcome through the atonement.  I first learned as a child that the atonement was Christ's suffering for our sins so that we can repent and be made clean again.  As a young mother I learned that the atonement also covers our pain, and succors, gives comfort for, and heals our physical or spiritual wounds, pain, illnesses.  In the last few years I have learned that the atonement also strengthens and enables us in our challenges.  If there is any good thing we want to do, or accomplish, or change in our lives,  the atonement is the source of power beyond our own to make it happen.

Truth #3:   To access the atonement I must act.  Choosing to turn to God for help, and allow the power of the atonement to cleanse, heal, or aid my life means I must work at doing as Jesus Christ asks. The only thing I can give to God, is my will.  If I think continually on Christ, on what he would have me do, if I read about Him, pray in His name, keep His commandments, I will see His atonement working in my life.

My negative thoughts and feelings of myself or others disappear when I put mind around these truths.  Light and dark cannot occupy the same space at the same time.  So to overcome co-dependency and all of its related miseries  just remember...

I am a Child of God.  That means that a part of me is heavenly, good, godly.  God created me.  God Loves me.  I am Divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment