Saturday, November 29, 2014

I am a Mother who knows which way I face.


I face everyone around me.  I am safe with the Lord at my back.  I take counsel from the Lord in how I am to interact with all around me.  I do not take counsel from those around me and then try to persuade the Lord of my own will.

Actually, the above statements are positive affirmations - what I am striving for.  Jesus Christ, in submitting his own will to that of the Father is the only one who has flawlessly lived always remembering which way he faced.

I have actually learned that I have a lot of work to do in this area.  As I first listened to this talk, I thought it was about the LDS culture vs. the world's culture, the gospel vs. the philosophies of men, Christians vs. Babylon.  As I studied it, I realized the lesson I need to gain is in my close relationships.  A close inspection of my life, has shown me that all to often I am fearing man more than God in the form of my husband, mother, sisters, children, friends.  I am trusting in my husband more than God at times too.  I have chosen the right way to face many times, too.  I don't believe in dichotomy.  But I have been shown where I can improve.

With my husband there are a million examples, the first that comes to mind is getting out of bed in the morning, especially on the weekend.  I set a goal, or have a core value of getting up by a certain time, but Jonathan wants to stay in bed and sleep or talk, so often I stay with him - trying to be unified with him, more than God.

With my children, it most often happens when I have to carry out a consequence or enforce a family rule.  I know my child is going to resist, I may deal with a fit, or rolling of eyes, or some other negative feedback, and I fear it more than teaching them what God has asked of us in responsibility and self-government.

My sisters, mother and other friends or family usually looks like going along with their plans or accepting their invitation, even when I know it is not the best choice for me or my family at the time.  This is trusting in their plans more than God's plan for me, or fearing to disappoint or damage our relationships. (That last fear is largely unfounded.)

At Crossfit, it is the Music.  Sometimes the music playing is way outside of acceptable standards - is offensive to the spirit.  I have yet to ask for it to be changed.  But a good friend recently told me she has several times.  I have feared man more than God on that one.

I know that as I follow the Lord, submit to His will, fear Him more than Man, and trust Him I will find more peace, more joy, more happiness.  That is His desire for His children.

I have two books that discuss these topics from different directions:
Confronting the Myth of Self-Esteem and Co-Dependant No More.


These thoughts are in response to the talk Which Way Do You Face? by Elder Robbins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment