Monday, March 30, 2015

Crossfit Open Ranking 12,476

Today I finished my first attempt at the Crossfit Open, in which some 289,000 people around the world competed.  It was my first time doing anything at all competitive, and I hoped to rank in the top 1/3.  I have been able to do that - and a little better.  I ended in the top 10%.  I've known for a couple months that I wanted to try and get competitive with Crossfit.  As I struggle to give everything I have to a WOD, I have to continually ask "Why?"

"Why do I want to do this?"  Why do I want to push myself physically beyond what is needed for good health and anti-depressant benefits.  Why do I want to put in extra time, and deal with very sore muscles and torn and callused hands?  Why do I want to learn to concentrate, to conquer the mind-game, to give all I have to a 15 minute workout?  What is the point?

Today, as I for the umpteenth time asked those questions, I received an answer.

I need to have walked the path of success and excellence before I can guide my children on it.  Their own choices of what to excel at will be different than mine, but until I have experienced what it is to work for and achieve a difficult dream, how can I tell my children they can.  How can I mentor them on "the Path" if I have not walked it myself.

I have a good friend who I have long admired for her ability to help her children succeed at everything they engage in.  Okay, at times is has been envy.  She, as a youth, learned to walk that path: leads in plays, valedictorian, beauty pageant queen.  I have fumbled to know how to help my own children reach the goals and dreams they have.  I have tried - and we have had some good goes, but my dear Kate has not yet come close to tasting her dreams or reaching her potential, and I have not known how to help her.  I try to tell her if she keeps working hard and has faith she can, but I have no experience to draw on.  I know there is amazing music, wisdom, and love that she needs to share with the world, and I want to be able to look at her and say "Kate, I know that if you follow this path of work, and faith, and seeking and submitting to the mentor, and failing better, and not giving up, and going when it hurts, when you are all alone, when you want to quit... after that test, you will achieve your hearts righteous desires.  I know, because I have walked that path."


I am working to be successful at Crossfit for that reason.  My goal is to make it to regionals - this make take more than a year or two.  Sometimes I look at that goal and think I'm crazy - it is too big, but I feel that God wants me to give my all, while I am at the box.  And then come home and give my all in the same purposeful, passionate, excited way to raising my children.  On we go for a dream!


2 comments:

  1. I look up to you Emily and your amazing drive to succeed. Great job this year the the open. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drew. I have a long way to go - but its all about the journey, right?

      Delete