Tuesday, December 2, 2014

I am a mother who knows where to find true answers.

Every day it seems I have questions, things I am not sure about.  Mille is not going to sleep, should I take the medical advice and give her melatonin?  How much school time is enough for this child, and what about that one?  This part of our routine continually has problems, how should I change it?  Is my own exercise or shower or study more important or does this child need an extra dose of love today while I am doing well?  How to I teach ________________ to this child, so they will understand and accept it? How do I explain my feelings about this so that Jonathan will understand? Janey has another ear infection, does she need an antibiotic or can I take care of this one on my own?  I really want to have a purposeful Christmas gift for our children, something to increase their love for God, and our love for each other as a family, what should it be?
I don't always stop to clearly identify each question and take it through the process of finding correct answers, but the more I become familiar with how to find real answers, and the incredibly postive outcomes that occur when the right solution is found, the more I want to.  When I have a sure answer that I should stick to the routine that day, I am empowered to keep the routine and give the needy child an extra dose of love.  When I know that our current household situation is hard enough, that my child will be better off emotionally, mentally, spiritually having the melatonin or antibiotic this time around, then I can use it without guilt, and know that their physical health will be okay and am I working toward a place where I can use the natural methods I prefer.  Mortality is never perfect.
Without a sure answer I will fumble back and forth on what I require for school, losing integrity with my children.  Without knowing what I need to say to Jonathan, I ramble on, often saying things weakly that were important, or with overexerted energy that creates negative emotions over a simple matter.
So how do I find a true answer?
First, I recognize a need for wisdom, or knowledge beyond my own. I am a mortal down on earth. My perspective is very limited, but God can see everything.  He knows the past, present and future. He knows my heart better than I do, and the hearts of my children and husband.  He knows far better than I what is possible because he has all power.  I am so limited in my abilities that I judge what is possible by what I can comprehend.
Second, I actually have to ask.  The more formally, on my knees is best; specific and with details of my appraisal of the situation, and my current feelings, understand and desires, that I pour out my heart to God, the more thorough and clear my answer is likely to be.  Sometimes, I have written a prayer, when there is a significant question.  Frequency matters also.  If I only pray for it once, then it was only a passing whim.  If I continually pray for an answer, and put mind heart and mind to it consistently over a period of time, the answer has always come.  Sometimes I don't want or hope for the answer for a period of time, that weekend at church or the temple, a week or a month later- I know the level of answer I desire will require patience and diligence to receive, just as one doesn't expect to gain the knowledge of an entire course in just one day of class.
Third, I have to work.  This part can be done before asking, but for me, it is often done simultaneously. I lose my keys and violin lesson start in 15 minutes.  I have been looking - everywhere.  Then one of my children suggests, "Mom, why don't we say a prayer"  I am humbled, we all gather and kneel down.  I ask that child to pray, and while they are praying to find the keys, I am praying for the Lord to answer the child's prayer that their faith may be strengthened.  Then we all go look again, and in just a minute the keys are found.  So far it has worked every time - many times. I am often very suprised at the speed with which those prayers are answered.  Working, for answers often means searching the words God has already given us -in the scriptures, and General Conference.  Sometimes it means testing the principle, making a sacrifice, repenting, going to the temple or serving others in a dedicated effort to be worthy and humble enough to  recieve the answer.
Fourth, I must recieve it.  Life is hectic, noisy and fast.  It is easy to miss answers for lack of listening, seeing, or believing.  Sometimes the answer is not what you wanted to hear or expected to hear.  Then humility is required to accept it.  Three years before we had our last child, I was very much desiring to bring another child into our family, but Jonathan did not agree or feel okay with it. I kept praying for the Lord to soften his heart, and eventually I received a very clear answer from the Spirit, by a voice in my mind.  The answer was that Jonathan was right, and I needed to change my heart.  That was the hardest "no" I have ever been told.  Happily, two years later, the Lord, through the Holy Ghost, told both Jonathan and I that it was time to have another child.
Learning how the Lord talks to me has evolved slowly.  Usually it is a thought accompanied by a beautiful and powerful emotion.  When I pause to think on it, it is clear.  I often feel compelled to write down those answers, I know they are a sacred gift from my Heavenly Father.  Having it written, gives me strength to hold to it, when the temptations and difficulties of life have me wavering.
Fifth, give thanks.  This part of recognizing and acknowledging that the Lord has answered my question, is another chance for me to receive a further blessing  When I kneel to thank my Heavenly Father, I am given an even sweeter feeling than when I receive the answer.  I am filled with peace, or joy or love or all of them.  It is after I have said thank you that often the Holy Ghost confirms the answer more powerfully in my own mind.  Sometimes giving me even further insight.

True Story: As I typed this a mosquito bit my arm, I missed it when I went to swipe at it.  It buzzed in front of my computer screen three more times and each time I missed when I tried to swat it.  Finally, I said a simple prayer.  "Heavenly Father, help me to swat this mosquito before it bites me again."  I didn't see it again for a few minutes then there it was in front of me again.  I clapped my hands and got it!  "Thank you, Heavenly Father, for all the blessings and answers, big and little, Thou hast blessed me with, even eliminating pesky mosquitos."

No comments:

Post a Comment