Tuesday, December 9, 2014

I am a mother who knows how to grow sweet potatoes!


Last February I found an old sweet potato in the bottom drawer of my fridge.  I love sweet potatoes.  And of course, I love growing real food, so I decided to try sprouting it.  I had nearly given up on it, when about 2 months later we started to get a tiny bud near the top.  So I held on, with new faith.  The bud grew bigger and formed a leaf, and eventually a second bud appeared.  I was ecstatic.  By May we had two nice sized slips growing out of our sweet potato.  I broke one off and planted it in a pot, and planted the other in a pot with the potato still attached.  The one on its own did better, but they both grew.  By mid-June it was warm enough to plant them, and they slowly and steadily grew...  Fall came, life was hectic, and we did not harvest so much of what we had planted . We nearly forgot the sweet potatoes.  A couple days ago, yes, in December, Jonathan and I went out with a spade and here is what we dug up. We are so excited to eat them!

Gardening and Permaculture have taught me about patience, and miracles.  Mostly, they have taught me that the best outcomes in life we can't force.  We do our part - which is small, and God does the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment